Employee Benefits Manager Certification Training Program
Monday, December 2, 2019 - Friday, December 6, 2019, 3PM Eastern
Employee benefits play an important part in a company’s finances, hiring, retention, and culture, and the Benefits Manager is an important part of the management team. But employee benefits is a complex area, with a maze of federal and state laws to consider and comply with. Managing and helping to structure an employer’s benefit offerings requires a broad range of knowledge—even the experts sometimes have difficulty navigating all the rules and special exceptions. The Benefits Manager needs a working knowledge of the relevant laws and regulations in order to ensure that the benefits offered by an employer comply with legal requirements, meet the employer’s goals and budget, and satisfy employees’ needs. It’s a tough job.
The Employee Benefits Manager Certification Training Program: Understanding the Essentials offers comprehensive employee benefits training to employee benefits professionals who have not necessarily had an opportunity for formal employee benefits training. Each session in this series will focus on one or more important aspects of benefits management, with the goal of helping benefits managers address their duties with increased knowledge and confidence and to demonstrate their competence. The program offers an efficient and comprehensive way to cover the employee benefits essentials in just one week. It will help you perform better at your job and earn respect as an employee benefits leader.
- Session 1: Employee Benefits Fundamentals
- Session 2: Health Coverage
- Session 3: Wellness Programs and Disability Plans
- Session 4: Paying for Retirement
- Session 5: Fringe Benefits
Plus! Question and Answer period following each session
If you are unable to attend any of the live sessions on the days that have been scheduled you may utilize the equivalent download(s). You may begin the program with any of the scheduled live webinars via download for any or all sessions. Upon completion of all sessions you may request a final exam. Upon passing the final exam you will have earned the designation of Certified Employee Benefits Manager (CEBM) by HRWebAdvisor, a division of DKG Media, LP. To help demonstrate your professional training, content mastery, and advancement in the HR sector, we will send you a certificate for display.
The cost for the program is $1495. Registration includes all five sessions, downloads, all course materials and tests. There is a second year continuing education certification requirement which includes attendance at two additional webinars or listening to the equivalent downloads. Recertification in the third year is required in order to maintain certification, and the costs for recertification will be billed separately prior to the start of your third year.
WHAT THE CERTIFICATION PROGRAM WILL COVER:
Here is a sampling of what each session will cover:
Session 1: Employee Benefits Fundamentals (December 2, 2019)
This session will cover the basic legal requirements for employee benefit plans, the terminology that is in common usage in benefits management, and the most common methods of financing employee benefits.
- The Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA)—What it Covers and How it Works
- The ERISA Yardstick: What’s Required, What’s Prohibited, and What Are Design Options
- Who’s Who Under ERISA (Sponsors, Administrators, Participants, Beneficiaries, and Fiduciaries)
- Plan Design and Fiduciary Responsibility
- Plan Document Requirements
- Bonding Requirements
- Trust Requirements
- Non-ERISA benefits
Financing Employee Benefits
- Differences Between Insured Benefits and Self-Funded Benefits
- The Role of Stop-Loss Insurance
- The Role of an Insurer or a Third-Party Administrator (TPA)
- The Role of a Cafeteria Plan
- Voluntary Benefits (“Employee-Pay-All”)
Session 2: Health Coverage (December 3, 2019)
This session will cover the various methods of providing health coverage to employees and their dependents, with emphasis on avoiding the legal and design traps that can trigger penalties and participant lawsuits.
- Major Medical
- Health Reimbursement Arrangements (HRAs)
- High-Deductible Health Plans (HDHPs)
- Health Flexible Spending Arrangements (Health FSAs)
- Health Savings Accounts (HSAs)
- Mental Health Parity
- Reporting Required by the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
Session 3: Wellness Programs and Disability Plans (December 4, 2019)
This session addresses which wellness programs and disability plans are subject to ERISA. It breaks down the compliance requirements for wellness programs including the differences between the various federal agency regulations. It also covers the types of disability plans and their essential design options.
- Non-Discrimination Requirements
- Maximum Permitted Incentives
- Privacy Issues
- Integration with Health Plans
- Issues Related to the Use of Wearable Tracking Devices with Wellness Programs
- Definitions of “Disabled”
- Short-Term Disability
- Long-Term Disability
- The Payroll Practice Exemption
- Continuation of Employee Status During a Period of Disability
Session 4: Paying for Retirement (December 5, 2019)
This session provides an overview of the main types of retirement plans and the options permitted under each, and coverage of the requirements that apply to ERISA plans when a participant challenges a benefit denial.
- Defined Benefit Plans (DB Plans)
- Defined Contribution Plans (DC Plans; 401(k) Plans)
- Cash Balance Plans
- Pre-Approved Plans
- Plan Documents
- Vesting Options
- Contribution Limits
- Loans and Hardship Distributions
- Tax Consequences of Retirement Plans
Claim and Appeal Requirements for ERISA Plans
- Timing Requirements
- Participant Opportunity to Review Plan Information and to Submit Additional Information
- Required Content of Denial Notices
- “Full and Fair Review” Requirement
- External Review
Session 5: Fringe Benefits (December 6, 2019)
This session will cover benefits that are offered by many employers but are not generally subject to ERISA, with emphasis on changes made by the recent Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA). It will also wrap up the series by addressing some of the most important decisions employers must make in order to offer meaningful and affordable benefits to employees.
- Dependent Care Assistance Plans (DCAPs)
- Transportation Benefits
- Employer-Paid Parking
- Bicycle Benefits
- Adoption Assistance Programs
- Life Insurance
- Educational Assistance
Important Design and Administration Options
- The Split Between Employer and Employee Contributions
- Insured Benefits or Self-Funded Benefits
- Outsource Administration or Keep It In-House
- Obligations Related to Choosing and Monitoring ERISA Plan Service Providers
Each session will be followed by a 15-20 minute Q&A session.
Final exam available upon request.
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS
The Employee Benefits Manager Certification Training Program: Understanding the Essentials consists of five live webinars supplemented by study and reference materials. If you are unable to attend all five live sessions, or you wish to review sessions that you attended, you may utilize the downloads. After completing the five sessions and passing the final certification exam within two months of finishing the course requirements, you will receive your certification from HRWebAdvisor. This will certify that you have successfully completed all of the course requirements, passed the final examination and have been certified by HRWebAdvisor as a Certified Employee Benefits Manager (CEBM).
Certification is for a two-year period from the date you pass the final exam. You have the option to recertify upon the conclusion of the two-year period. Recertification in the third year is required to maintain certification. Continuing education is required to recertify. This requirement can be fulfilled by attending additional designated webinars or listening to the equivalent downloads. Costs for recertification and continuing education will be billed separately.
Employee Benefits Managers who complete this program earn the prestigious credential of CEBM, Certified Employee Benefits Manager, awarded by HRWebAdvisor, a division of DKG Media.
Certificates of Participation
HRWebAdvisor certificates of participation are available to everyone completing this webinar.