Duration: 90 minutes including question and answer period.
Presenter: Melissa Fleischer, attorney at law and president, HR Learning Center LLC
Price: $349.00, DL includes full audio presentation, question and answer session, and presentation slides.
CE Credits: This program has been approved for 1.5 general recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR, and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute. This program is valid for 1.5 PDCs for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP.
Who Should Attend? HR, payroll, safety, auditing, supervisors, managers, attorneys, financial officers, CEOs
Laws have been springing up in many different jurisdictions, both state and local, requiring employers to “ban the box”—meaning to stop the practice in which employers include on employment applications questions about an applicant’s prior criminal history. Those that favor ban the box laws contend that such information on job applications can cause qualified candidates to not qualify for many job positions, potentially causing higher rates of repeat criminal offenders because they cannot find jobs. Critics of ban the box laws tend to be employers who are concerned about security in the workplace and protecting employees and customers from violence. There are valid arguments on both sides of the issue, but it is clear that the implementation of these laws is on the rise for public and private sector employers.
Please join Melissa Fleischer, attorney at law, in this important webinar focusing on ban the box laws and requirements for your workplace.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
This webinar will address the following key topics:
- Summary of the current state of ban the box laws around the country
- What these laws require and how to ensure compliance
- The EEOC’s position on automatic disqualification of applicants based on prior criminal convictions
- How to apply the EEOC’s three-part test to ensure the past conviction really is relevant to the job the applicant will be performing
- How job descriptions can play a major role in all of this
- Whether employers may ask about prior criminal records of job applicants in states that have adopted ban the box legislation
- Whether an employer may refuse to hire a job applicant with a prior criminal history in a state with a ban the box statute
- Current requirements for employers in states that do not have ban the box laws
- The EEOC’s position on asking about past criminal history and using that as a basis for refusing to hire an applicant
- AND MUCH MORE!
YOUR CONFERENCE LEADER
Your conference leader for “Ban the Box Laws: The Latest Guidance on Employment Application Requests for Prior Criminal History” is Melissa Fleischer, attorney at law. Ms. Fleischer is a management-side employment attorney with 20 years of experience representing clients in employment law discrimination litigation as well as providing preventive counseling and training on workplace issues. HR Learning Center, LLC offers training seminars, webinars, and consulting on a wide range of employment law topics including: workplace investigations, anti-harassment training, FMLA and ADA training, workplace violence prevention, etc. Ms Fleischer earned her J.D. degree from the George Washington University School of Law.
HRWebAdvisor QUALITY COMMITMENT
HRWebAdvisor, a division of DKG Media, LP, wants you to be satisfied with your webinar. If this webinar does not meet your expectations, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CERTIFICATES OF PARTICIPATION
HRWebAdvisor certificates of participation are available to everyone completing this webinar.